Buildtime Trend as a Service : free for Open Source projects. Check it out!
What is Buildtime Trend about?
Buildtime Trend is an Open Source application that gathers timing data of a build process, like Travis CI. The collected data is used to create charts to visualise trends of the build process.
These trends can help you gain insight in your build process : which stages take most time? Which stages are stable or have a fluctuating duration? Is there a decrease or increase in average build duration over time?
With these insights you can improve the stability of your build process and make it more efficient.
The generation of timing data is done with either a client or using Buildtime Trend as a Service.
The Python based client generates custom timing tags for any shell based build process and can easily be integrated. A script processes the generated timing tags when the build is finished, and stores the results.
Buildtime Trend as a Service gets timing and build related data by parsing the logfiles of a buildprocess. Currently, Travis CI is supported. Simply trigger the service at the end of a Travis CI build and the parsing, aggregating and storing of the data is done automatically.
The collected build data is used to generate a dashboard with charts powered by the Keen.io API.
- Get timing data from stages in a build process
- Store, analyse and create trends of the build process data
- using the service : it is triggered when the Travis CI build process is finished. The service retrieves build data and the logfile, which is parsed to extract the timing data. The processed timing data is stored in the Keen.io database.
- the client has two modes :
- keen mode : send timing data to Keen.io and use the Keen.io API for analysis and visualisation
- native mode : store data in xml format and use matplotlib to generate a chart (limited)
- selectable timeframe : per day, week, month, year
- filter chart data on parameters : build matrix, build result, trigger and branch
- number of buildjobs, successful and failed
- average build, build job and build stage duration
- average build job duration per branch and build matrix parameters
- builds per branch
- build job results over time
- charts with build duration per time of day/day of week
Buildtime Trend consists of several subprojects :
- Buildtime Trend as a Service : Heroku application that offers Buildtime Trend as a Service. It hosts the dashboard that displays charts, generates status badges and has a service that can be triggered by Travis CI to download and parse Travis CI build logs. It relies on python-lib.
- Python client : Collection of scripts to generate timestamps as part of a build process. It relies on python-lib.
- Python library : Python library powering python-client and Buildtime Trend as a Service.
The dashboard is hosted on Buildtime Trend as a Service, is automatically deployed by the python-client, but can also be used stand alone.
Bugs and feature requests
Please report bugs and add feature requests in the Github issue tracker.
If you want to contribute to make Buildtime Trend even better, check out the contribution page. We are looking for testers, developers, designers, ... and what more. Contact us if you want to help out.
You can support the project by making a donation. Donations will help pay for the hosting and support further development.
For an overview of who contributed to create Buildtime trend, see Credits.
Mailinglist : Buildtime Trend Community